The winds of Autumn took the beautifully colored leaves and made them dance to the ground. That is the time when I love to walk through the crunchy leaves and smell the familiar scent knowing that Autumn is here.
It has made me think about the ‘pretty’ things we have gathered in our lives that we cling to which keep us from moving ahead in victory. Its time to release them like those leaves and let them fall away.
Some we may not even be aware off.
- Fears that grip us
- Possessions we think define us
- Habits that keep us in bondage like our thoughts, eating habits, moral issues
- People-pleasing acts that leave us exhausted
- Toxic relationships
- Believing only in ourselves and not trusting the All-Mighty God
- Job security
- Identity in our kids
- Bitterness toward a job loss, a divorce, financial hardships, a hurtful family member, betrayal
- Someone getting ahead and you seem to be stuck
We all struggle. That is something we cannot deny. It is like needing the Autumn leaves to be blown away from us.
The writer of Hebrews knew what people struggled with. He encourages us by saying,
Such a large crowd of witnesses is all around us! So we must get rid of everything that slows us down, especially the sin that just won’t let go. And we must be determined to run the race that is ahead of us. Hebrews 12:1
Sometimes we hold on tight and don’t want to lease those things that make us feel secure and less vulnerable. Deep down, I believe we really know what is keeping us to be all God intended. But like my trees that are dropping leaves all around me and soon to be ‘naked’, we all have to do the same thing. Being honest with God and with ourselves is a good thing. That is the start. Just like the naked and vulnerable tree, we can understand as new leaves grow back, we can grow brighter and stronger too.
God’s Spirit doesn’t make cowards out of us. The Spirit gives us power, love, and self-control. 2 Timothy 1:7
Don’t be like the people of this world, but let God change the way you think. Then you will know how to do everything that is good and pleasing to him. Romans 12:1
It can be scary. I know that for a fact. I have had to work at them too. Many times, life is so unfair, don’t you agree? Sometimes my pride gets in the way until I realize it’s time to change. We need to ask God to release some of the ‘dead leaves’ so it can bring new growth.
What do you feel you can begin to release in your life to gain victory? When you do, there will be a freshness to your life. I know it, I have lived it.
- Take a walk through the leaves
- Think through some issues in your life that remind you of those dead and fallen leaves
- What can you release and begin to find victory in?
- Talk to a trusted friend and ask for support
YOU CAN DO THIS!