Wow! The summer holidays are now a memory and the routine of getting the kiddos settled into school and the endless schedules are upon us.
May I share one more summer fun memory? It was camping with family. As the summer came to a close, the nights got cooler and the sun set much earlier. It was so much easier to put the kids to bed when it was dark!
The girls had little battery operated lanterns to shine some light if they got scared. (pictured hanging from the camper roof) The warm sleeping bags and flannel PJ’s kept them warm as the night temperatures dropped.
It reminds me of God’s help when I was scared of the seemingly ‘dark’ future and the chill from the reality of walking the single motherhood journey alone.
- God gave me His light to lead me one step at a time.
Your word is a lamp that gives light wherever I walk. Psalm 119:105
I can’t count the number of times I was afraid to move forward with life decisions especially being responsible for the children’s well-being. Do I move? Will this job provide? A guy asked me out so should I go? For those of you who are a single mom, you understand.
The words of Scripture gave me the direction I needed. For example: I had been thinking about moving away from the town where my life had turned upside down. I wanted a new start and a new beginning. The kids had already adjusted to a move across town to save on rent, settling into away weekend visits with their dad, and mommy working outside the home. What to do, what to do!
The answer came one morning as I was reading God’s Word, Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. He led them by a straight way to a city where they could settle. Psalm 107:6-7 In just a few months, the girls and I had settled into a new town and into a great rental place, and I had a new job.
- God was there to wrap His love around me just like a fluffy sleeping bag. The truth was that life was lonely with no companion. God promised the words in Scripture, He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. Psalm 91:4 (rampart means a protective wall. I had to look it up.)
During these days as you journey as a single mom, remember that life is like camping. You have a light to guide you when you feel it is dark all around. You have the warmth of God’s love like a fluffy sleeping bag to comfort you when you feel life is cold and dreary.
Camping may be over until next year, but you can remember God has your back. He will guide you with His light and protect and keep you warm 365 days of the year.
- During this busy school season remember that God will guide and protect all of you
- Take time in God’s word to encourage you in this journey called Single Mother Hood
- Remember the lessons of a flashlight and a sleeping bag
YOU CAN DO THIS!