The phone rings and we ask, How are you? We greet someone in the produce aisle and say, How are you? We bump shoulders with other parents at the recreational center or with co-workers and ask the same question, How are you?
So I ask you, How are you? No really, HOW ARE YOU?
I remember so vividly wondering why I was on planet earth, if I was doing ok as a single mom, and if life was going to remain the same day-in and day-out. When people would ask how I was, I would rather have said sometimes “awful, frustrating, lonely and unfulfilled!” Maybe you want to say the same thing. A caution is that not everyone needs to hear our situations and we need to respect our need for some privacy.
For me, the wisest thing was to invest with friends that understood my situation and I could trust them with it. When they sat with me and asked, How are you? I knew it was deeper than the usual greeting.
- Do you have someone in your life who hears your heart in a confidential way? If you don’t, commit to praying for that person to enter your life. A true, blue girlfriend is a gift when they say, How are You?
In the Bible, history records stories of true friendship like Ruth and Naomi; David and Jonathan, and Paul and Barnabas. These friends are like the gum on the soul of your shoe, the peanut butter than goes with chocolate (my favourite!), and the hand that holds the tissue box!
Some friends don’t help, but a true friend is closer than your own family. Proverbs 18:24
Whatever your situation, there is a friend who will be there for you 24/7. That is God!
- God wants to walk this journey with you as a single mom. No need for a coffee date or a scheduled time written on your calendar. God is saying to you, How are you, as soon as you reach out to Him. It is like this picture of a door always open for you to enter in.
Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; therefore he will rise up to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him! Isaiah 30:18
Our Lord, you always do right, and your decisions are fair. All of your teachings are true and trustworthy…help me to understand them and live. Psalm 119: 107, 144b
January is just about gone and February is beginning. People will ask: How are you? True Friends will ask: How are you? When God listens, I can guarantee your journey will be lead with more peace, contentment and joy if you will just trust Him to lead you because; He truly knows how you are.
- When you meet someone this week and they ask, How are You, filter how much to say.
- Thank your true friend who is there for you.
- Journey through February with God who loves to know how you are doing and wants to help lead you in your life journey.
You can do this!