How is your new outfit working? Looking good!
…and the Sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Ephesians 6: 17b
The other pieces you are wearing are for protection. The sword is used to fight for victory.
Sometimes as a single mom I would rather have just held up a white flag and say, ‘I give up’. Week after week and day after day, sometimes my armour felt like a 1000 lbs. I was emotionally and physically pooped out with scheduled activities, appointments, homework, and making lunches. I couldn’t imagine taking on one more piece of armour to fight.
Don’t despair. The sword will help you fight with wisdom. God gave us this important piece, so let’s use it the right way.
Without the sword, I would have been sunk. God’s word has been my lifeline. When my ex-husband first left, I would hug my Bible and lay it beside me in bed. Opening its pages, words I had never really seen before jumped out. This sword was a salve to my desperately hurting soul.
Life a warrior’s sword, we can grip it tightly, hold it high and say, with God’s Word I will be a victor!
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:105
For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12
People argue today that the Bible is old-school and irrelevant. Really? Let’s see.
- People angry/murder Genesis 4
- People give in to sexual sin 2 Samuel 11
- People are jealous 1 Samuel 18
- People complain Numbers 11
- People loved money instead of God Luke 16:14
- People worshiped idols Judges 2:11-13
- People hurt those that loved God Genesis 40:15; Acts 16:37
- Poor and widowed need help Deuteronomy 10:18; Isaiah 1:17
- God never changes Hebrews 13:8
- God is near Psalm 28:1
- God never will desert you Deuteronomy 31:8
- God forgives Hebrews 2:17
- God gives a new slate psalm 51:7
This list is only a drop in the bucket to name just a few.
Some don’t like to mark up their Bible but write in a journal. I choose to write down comments, date verses that mean something to me, and underline. Giving your children the love for Scripture is a treasure as they fight their own battles.
When I was so emotionally weak and not sure I could move ahead, He gave me these words,
You won’t even have to fight. Just take your positions and watch the Lord rescue from the enemy. Don’t be afraid. Just do as you were told. And as you march out tomorrow, the Lord will be there with you! 2 Chronicles 20: 17
Do you have to go to court? Are you meeting with the medical doctor about one of your children? Are you needing to see the school principle? Will you be meeting with a counselor and risk sharing your heart? Are you afraid to go to the mall because you are afraid you will see your ex and his girlfriend? Are people telling lies about you or gossiping about your marriage break-down?
Keep grabbing your sword and let God speak to you!
Some helpful tools to go along with your Bible:
- If you don’t have a Bible right now you can get the Bible online. Isn’t technology wonderful! Put it on your phone, or computer to keep it handy. http://www.biblestudytools.com/niv/
- Check out https://www.biblegateway.com. It has various versions (most use NIV-New International Version). You can look up subjects and topics and even receive a daily Scripture.
- A handy tool I bought for under $4 is a booklet called Know Your Bible. It gives a short description and history of a particular book of the Bible. Here are the links from Amazon.
You have the Belt of Truth, The Breastplate of Righteousness, Shoes of Peace, the Shield of Faith, the Helmet of Salvation and now your trusty Sword! God has given you each important piece of armour to face all life’s battles. He says to go in His Strength and believe me, we need it!
- Take God’s Sword and let the words comfort and heal you. As you march forward, remember, ‘the Lord will be there with you!”
- Make it a point to use your Sword each day for strength and guidance
- Read stories from the Bible to your kids.
- Memorize verses in your Sword that will help you throughout the day.
- Find a version that works for you
- Hold up your Sword….you can be a victor!
YOU CAN DO THIS!
Next week…New Armour, Now What?